When a loved one enters a nursing home or other assisted living facility, we expect him or her to be properly cared for. Unfortunately, however, this isn’t always the case. In fact, nursing home abuse and neglect are increasingly common occurrences. Even worse is the fact that it isn’t always obvious when a loved one has been harmed in a nursing home. In order to ensure that your loved ones remain safe while in the care of a nursing home, review the following common signs of nursing home abuse and neglect. And if any of these signs is present, please contact a Texas nursing home neglect lawyer as soon as possible.
- Poorly explained fractures or bruises: Fractures and bruises are clear signs that your loved one has been injured. While these types of injuries sometimes occur accidently, they are also often due to neglect or physical abuse.
- Unexpected hospitalization: When a loved one is in poor health, an occasional hospitalization is to be expected. An unexpected hospitalization, however, is often a sign of abuse or neglect.
- Skin breakdowns and bed sores: Bed sores are preventable with proper care. Therefore, the presence of bed sores and other skin breakdowns often indicate neglect by nursing home staff.
- Changes in mental status: If your loved one shows signs of mental deterioration, something may be amiss. Nursing home staff sometimes use medications to control the behavior of nursing home residents, and misuse of such medications can constitute abuse and neglect.
- Rapid weight loss: Rapid weight loss is a common sign of neglect. Under a proper nutrition plan, your loved one’s weight should remain relatively steady.
- Frequent falls: Falls become more likely as we age. However, nursing homes have an obligation to try to prevent falls by properly supervising residents. Simply put, frequent falls are a sign that nursing home staff may be inadequately supervising your loved one.
- Fear of nursing home staff: If your loved one refuses to discuss certain nursing home employees or appears fearful in the presence of nursing home staff, he or she may be a victim of abuse.
Texas Nursing Home Neglect Lawyer
If you or a loved one are a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, Adams Law Firm is on your side. At Adams Law Firm, we are prepared to file civil lawsuits against those who abuse or neglect the most vulnerable among us, and we have a strong track record of winning such cases. We have a well-deserved reputation for providing efficient, responsive, effective representation and for obtaining the highest possible compensation for our clients. If you live in the Woodlands, Houston, Conroe, or surrounding areas and you or a family member have suffered the pain and humiliation of elder neglect or abuse, please contact us as soon as possible for a free initial consultation.
Posted in: Nursing Home Neglect