Auto accidents are a common occurrence in Texas. And in such accidents, passengers frequently suffer injuries, many of them serious. However, many passengers are unaware of their legal rights following a Texas auto accident. If you’ve been injured in an auto accident in Texas, please review the information below, and contact a Montgomery County motor vehicle accident attorney today for a consultation.
The right to compensation following an auto accident
Texas is an at-fault car insurance state, meaning that drivers who cause accidents must pay for any resulting damages. When a passenger suffers injuries in a Texas auto accident, he or she usually isn’t to blame, meaning that it is typically the responsibility of the driver to pay for injuries to any passengers. Thus, following an auto accident, an injured passenger may either file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver or file a claim directly against the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
Insurance coverage for injuries
Following an auto accident in Texas, there are several types of insurance coverage that may provide compensation to an injured passenger, including:
- Medical payments coverage – Medical payments coverage compensates drivers and passengers for medical bills regardless of fault. If a passenger has medical payment coverage, he or she can file a claim with his or her own insurance company following an accident.
- Bodily liability coverage – Drivers in Texas must carry bodily liability coverage. If a driver causes an accident that injures a passenger, this coverage pays for such injuries.
- Personal injury protection coverage – Personal injury protection coverage applies regardless of fault. It covers medical expenses, lost wages, and other non-medical costs.
- Health insurance – When a passenger requires medical care following an accident, his or her health insurance coverage should cover certain injuries.
- Underinsured/uninsured coverage – When a passenger is injured by a hit and run driver, or the at-fault driver has no insurance or insufficient insurance for the passenger’s injuries. Oftentimes, this coverage will be in the passenger’s personal auto insurance policy or the driver’s policy.
If you’ve been injured, you deserve compensation
Whether you’ve been injured as a driver or passenger in an auto accident in Texas, you deserve compensation. However, in order to receive compensation for your injuries, you must successfully file a legal claim. This is where an experienced personal injury attorney comes in handy. An experienced Texas personal injury attorney will work to ensure that you are fully compensated for your injuries.
Contact the Adams Law Firm for help
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you should contact a Montgomery County motor vehicle accident attorney as soon as possible. At Adams Law Firm, our experienced Texas lawyer understands the devastating effects that motor vehicle accidents have on victims. Our aggressive Montgomery County attorney has helped countless individuals injured in motor vehicle accidents obtain the compensation they deserve. In addition, our Texas car and truck accident attorney has over 35 years of experience trying motor vehicle accident cases throughout the state. Therefore, if you’ve been injured in a car accident, please contact our law firm as soon as possible for a consultation.
Posted in: Car Accident